The function of prayer is not to influence God,
but rather to change the nature of the one who prays.
Keeping with the 4 main Archetypes that we all share, the 3rd of the 4 is the Prostitute Archetype. Again, this information comes from notes from classes I took from Caroline Myss and Norm Shealy on Medical Intuition and her book Sacred Contracts along with information I gained in my counseling practice and of course, my own life.
What I love about the Prostitute Archetype is that it is truly about Faith. When you are in survival mode, when you believe you will lose all that you have or not get what you truly believe you need in order to survive, the choice is either to compromise your integrity or have faith.
Some of you may know I have struggled a lot with loss. First was my near death experience (NDE) when I was 14 years old. The second main challenge was when I had a house fire and lost everything (material). I was at work and my two daughters were home. My daughter called me and said “Mom, the house is on fire!” I told her to get her sister and get out. I was terrified and prayed all the way home. First I saw the ambulance, then my dad and then my children. When I looked at my home burning, I saw an image of Jesus’s hand reaching down into the ashes and bringing out Life! At that time I knew all was well.
Later, there was emotional and material loss after a divorce. I became depressed and could not work for a while. Many of my belongings were stored in the barn at the home where my husband and I had lived. My former husband rented the house and the renter moved all my belongings into a room in the barn where the roof leaked. All my possessions were ruined. Having moved and not having a job at the time, I didn’t have money to pay rent at my apartment. I prayed and told God that if it were his will that I be a bag lady on the street, then so be it. I would minister on the street. Although I was ready to give up everything to do God’s will, I did hold out for a request of warm socks. What happened instead was my life changed. I went into private practice and was gifted with abundance beyond what I had imagined.
In all of these cases, when there was loss, the answer was Faith and the way for me to Faith was and is surrender. Now, this was my response to what had happened. Today when I pray, I usually pray for others and in gratitude for all I have.
The following are pearls, especially if you are one who contemplates, meditates and journals! Enjoy!!!
Prostitute Archetype – The Guardian of Faith
The core issue is how much you are willing to sell your morals, integrity, intellect, word, body, soul for the sake of physical security
- Engages lessons in integrity and the sale or negotiation of one’s integrity or Spirit due to fears of physical and financial survival for financial gain.
- Activates the aspects of the unconscious that are related to seduction and control, whereby you are as capable of buying a controlling interest in another person as you are in selling your own power.
- Selling your talents, ideas, and any other expression of the self or “selling out” your talents, ideas and other expressions of self.
- Comes into play most clearly when our survival is threatened.
- Dramatically embodies and tests the power of faith; with faith no one can buy you, you know you can take care of yourself and the Divine is looking out for you – without faith, you will eventually meet the price you cannot turn down.
- Majority of prostitutes are in bad marriages or in miserable jobs; their inability to move out of toxic environments is totally tied to economics.
- Who or what is trying to buy, use or contaminate you? As Jesus with Satan, every time you take a step on your path of personal empowerment, you will meet someone who will want to buy a piece of your soul, rendering you less powerful and themselves more powerful.
- Shadow side is taking shortcuts such as buying or sharing power, i.e. “I am a friend of a friend of famous person.”
- One stays in relationships that by name gives them power long after the relationship has gone cold.
- Confronting the prostitute transforms it into the guardian that watches over your relationship to faith.
- The prostitute is your ally that alerts you when you shift from the Divine to the physical.
- Whenever you are in a faith crisis, list your thoughts and fears, especially the ones that are trying to talk you into compromising yourself.
- Be aware of the prostitute when it appears you could order your life if you had the money, when you stay in relationships so you don’t have to be alone and when you think of doing something unethical or illegal “for the good of the company, family, etc.”
- Prostitute relationships are the most painful because they involve survival and are often terrifying and humiliating.
- Do you think before you say your opinion “What will this cost me in terms of popularity or gain?”
- The prostitute can awaken you to “take up your bed and walk.” Once you get away from a circumstance that costs you too much money, energy, dignity or time, lasting transformation is possible.
- Shadow prostitute will urge you to sell out your integrity and your vision of true independence at the first opportunity.
Join with me in delving into the Prostitute Archetype in your journal! Here is a helpful journal process.
Willing to share a time when realized you prostituted your values to gain something you wanted?
When has your Faith transported you from one emotional place to another?